Important Notice for Mainland Investors under Stock Connect
According to the circular announced by The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited (SEHK) on 24 June 2022, China Securities Regulatory Commission (CSRC), Shanghai Stock Exchange (SSE) and Shenzhen Stock Exchange (SZSE) had announced rule amendments in relation to restricting Mainland investors1 from Northbound Trading under Stock Connect with effective from 25 July 2022 (the Effective Date).
The amendments are as below:
- From the Effective Date, new application of Mainland investors for participating in Northbound Trading under Stock Connect will not be accepted.
- During a 1-year transitional period (from Effective Date to 23 July 2023), existing clients2 may continue to buy and sell China Connect Securities through Northbound Trading under Stock Connect.
- After the transitional period: Mainland investors shall not proactively buy or subscribe for any China Connect Securities through Northbound Trading under Stock Connect, but excluding obtaining China Connect Securities passively as a result of corporate actions. Existing China Connect Securities held by Mainland investors could be sold in accordance with the arrangements to be announced by SEHK in due course.
For details, please refer to the SEHK’s Circular:https://www.hkex.com.hk/-/media/HKEX-Market/Services/Circulars-and-Notices/Participant-and-Members-Circulars/SEHK/2022/CT08822E.pdf
Should you have any queries, please call our 24-hour InvestLine at (852) 2878-5555 or contact your Investment Representative.
1. Mainland investors include: (a) individuals that possess Mainland ID documents; (b) holders of a joint account if one of the holders is considered as Mainland investor under (a); and (c) corporate or unincorporated entities which are registered in the Mainland.
2. The term “existing clients” refers to Mainland investors who had been accepted by us to participate in Northbound Trading under Stock Connect and for whom we had registered CHN BCANs (i.e. Broker-to-Client Assigned Numbers registered with ‘CHN’ as the country/region of issuance) before the Effective Date.